Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

All the Freckles in the World

I thought this would be a sweet "first crush" story. It ended up being a rather hideous story in spite of the sweet-looking faces of its young stars.

The main character is a small kid who begins attending a new school where he is tiny compared to all his classmates, and appears to be significantly younger as well. His hobby is inventing gadgets and his classmates make fun of him, so you start out wanting to protect him since he's little and bullied.

By the end of the movie, you realize he is not what you think, and is a shallow, self-absorbed character who will trample anyone to get what he wants.

He decides upon seeing her once, that a pretty blond girl, nearly twice his height and currently someone else's girlfriend, will be his.

His entire mission in life becomes "getting her", going to far lengths to win her over.

He proves himself to be completely heartless and careless towards his friends who have helped him, and treats them with cold cruelty once they no longer serve his purpose.

Shockingly (would never really happen, but it's a movie), his scheming eventually does get him the girl.

Then they are sitting together and he realizes they have nothing to talk about...and that he doesn't really like her after all.

There is a truth in that about human nature, absolutely, about how we passionately want what we can't have, and often take for granted what we do. It is a sad and sick but true observation that we, as humans, are like this.

Would I recommend this one? Meh, not emphatically. It's watchable if you're into that sort of genre. Wasn't my favorite, but it was engaging, probably because the little kid mad scientist is kinda a unique character and he did an impressive job acting it out.