Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

As you can see, I butchered the forum! Whoops.

So. What happened?

I added a plugin that crashed the whole website! And after the plugin was removed and the website came back to life, the forum content was all completely disappeared. Poof. Gone.

So I guess those warnings to back up your content before adding new plug-ins was legit advice.

I think I learned something but it seems I'm a bit hard-headed and learn the hard way as a result of it!

Anyways, like Thomas Edison said,

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Glad to see you got things worked out 🙂 If you ever need any help I have experience with Wordpress so I might be able to walk you through things... Also it looks like the maps forum doesn't like the heart in the title. When you click it it goes to an error page.

Hopefully I'll be able to work my schedule out to play with some of you folks in the near future!

@Scyree

Welcome Scyree. ?

I'll tell you what I was aiming to do and if you have a solution, I'm happy to hear it!

So my aim was to make a new index/menu page for the Maps page because the old one had individual images that were vertically one on top of the other and different in appearance since they were done at different times, but I think they each had a functioning caption and link to the URL where that map group's images were located in a gallery.

The appearance of the page was kind of haphazard and untidy, plus scrolling down that far isn't ideal.

I wanted to make a new index page that looks like this:

Map index with captions but no link to custom URL (only enlarged image) for gallery pages

But that has links to the pages where those collections are found. From everything I read, it looked like adding custom URL links to a gallery was impossible without adding a plug in.

There was such a plugin (called Gallery Custom Links), seen below.

View post on imgur.com

This is the plugin that completely broke the website so nothing worked. Once the plugin was removed, it was normal again, except for the forum content that vanished into nothingness...although the post counts and view counts remained. Tupac said he was gonna look into whether it could be retrieved from somewhere.

I looked around and found another plugin, the Envira Gallery plugin, that allows galleries to have custom links added. So I have this page with those functioning:

Map index with working links to custom gallery pages but no captions

But there are no captions. I read about it and it looked like you need to add an Envira addon which requires upgrade to a paid version of Envira Gallery to be able to add captions, according to this:

How to Add Caption Below Images in WordPress

I got the paid version but it still didn't allow me to add the Gallery Theme addon which allows captions, so I cancelled the subscription.

Yeah, I noticed the hearts title lol, but I loved it too much to replace it with text before checking if a solution that will allow it to stay can be found, hah.

I found a free solution that allows both the static captions and the custom URL links. It's a plugin called Elementor. You wouldn't think it would be so hard to do such simple things! The Maps page is finally fixed!