Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Frosty's WC2 Map Thread

Page 1 of 5Next

Hello everyone, from now on I'll be sharing my maps here in this thread.

While I haven't played them with human players (I'm studying the AI's pathing just to make sure no unit gets stuck behind the trees or rocks), but I have human players in mind while creating them.

In addition to that, most of my maps will have a thematic and aesthetic approach. I love to make my maps both playable and a feast to the eyes.

The newest addition to my maps is "Target Locked", this map is inspired after a targeting crosshair seen in First Person shooters.

Draw around the ice, you will form a targeting crosshair. Getting the treeline and darker snow patterns in the expansions were very tricky to pull off. It had to be precise. Walls were added just to delay early expansion shenanigans.

Uploaded files:

Welcome to War2USA @frostyinsanity!

You have found a community that appreciates new maps and the creative genius of the authors who put work into making fabulous new landscapes for us to enjoy!

Thank you for sharing your map making gift with us! I'm sure our experienced resident map makers Nedro and Moriouce and you will have a lot to talk about!

I look forward to seeing your new creations!

There is also a good chance there will be another map contest later in 2020 or 2021, but we are still feasting on the fantastic fresh fruit of the last crop!

With all these talented map makers producing for our community, we can't help but be crazy excited for the future of Warcraft 2 around here! 🙂

Yes, we welcome every new mapmaker into the fold. As how @frostyinsanity descibe your view on mapmakeing I can tell you will complement existing Creations very well.

Great work on your first additions!

Thank you all for the warm greetings, @babyshark and @moriouce.

Anyways, time to proceed to introduce everyone to my latest map. This one here is a combination of doing a research regarding Norse Runestones and creating a counterpart to a StarCraft map. The name is also a nod to a spell seen in Fire Emblem.

Here's Blárserpent (The prefix means "blue" in old norse). Unlike its StarCraft counter which is based on a Rattlesnake's den. The WarCraft II version of Blárserpent is instead draws inspiration from the Ingvar Runestones, particularly the one with a serpent inscription on it. This map will be a part of a triad of serpent maps (Gronnserpent and Rauðrserpent are yet to come).

The reason why I made the map heavily forested is the secondary theme which is a "cursed evil forest hiding valuable treasure" hence the many scattered enemy units guarding the mines particularly Dragons guarding the trio of central mines (which is a subtle nod to a Dragon's hoard).

This map is also my first take on a non-symmetrical work.

"Legends speak of an ancient forest that was once home to a great serpent who have guarded relics of the past. Many adventurers tried their best to find the treasure but ended up lost in the woods, never to be seen again. It is said that their souls were left to wander around these ancient woods for all eternity. Four factions of adventurers caught interest in the said ancient forest but only one can uncover the secret that has been shrouded in myth for many, many years and forever end the curse of the forest."

EDIT: It seems the uploader can't recognize old Norse letters... Whoopsie.

Uploaded files:

Made a quick map.

Decided to combine the Three Kingdoms from StarCraft, Gold Separates East from West in WC2 and a swirling magic bolt theme to form "ANiMA". Don't mind the style of the name, it is a nod to an EDM+Classical track that I'm fond of.

This is second asymmetrical map I've made so far.

Uploaded files:

variant: 1st building: castle

... your far-sighted future ...

Russia looks world from future. big data is peace data

Since Christmas is coming soon, here's my lovely Holiday gift to the War2USA Community. Introducing... Poinsettia!

In order to compensate the absence of an immediate expansion (which I had trouble setting up), the player's starting mines have a generous amount of gold and so is the gold mines hidden among the Poinsettia's bracts. The rich central gold mine is heavily guarded, I chose yellow as the "neutral hostile" force as an allusion to the true flowers found on the center of the Poinsettia.

This is the third asymmetrical piece I've submitted here.

Uploaded files:

@frostyinsanity

Your maps are GORGEOUS!!

I'm beyond impressed with the level of the artwork I'm seeing on your puds.

I definitely wish Poinsettia would be an 8 player map since we usually have 8 people!

Thanks for sharing these!!!

Quote from BabyShark on December 21, 2019, 4:18 am

@frostyinsanity

Your maps are GORGEOUS!!

I'm beyond impressed with the level of the artwork I'm seeing on your puds.

I definitely wish Poinsettia would be an 8 player map since we usually have 8 people!

Thanks for sharing these!!!

Thank you!

When I get to work on Medusa and Fireworks, those are going to be the first 8-player maps on my creations roster.

Page 1 of 5Next