Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I Still Believe (2020)

I Still Believe is based on the true story of Christian musician Jeremy Camp and the girl he met in college who is diagnosed with life-threatening cancer.

True stories are more compelling than made-up ones.

I had low expectations since Christian-type movies often depict characters who are always smiling and everyone learns a lesson at the right time and it's all summed up in a nice mediocrely-acted slightly too-perfect package, a bit like Hallmark plus the Bible.

I Still Believe was better than expected. Still though, it didn't leave an ultra-deep impression because his loss was a pretty girl and it wasn't long before he got another one. I'm not like super cold-hearted I don't think but it's hard to feel that bad for a celebrity who was able to replace the girl he lost, the love of his life, by the end of the movie.

Movies that made much more of an impact are the true story representation of Joni Eareckson Tada (Joni - 1979), who dove headfirst into water too shallow as a teenager who became a paraplegic for life, but instead of becoming permanently depressed and despairing and self-pitying, went on to use her life as a ministry to lift others up. She also learned how to paint with her mouth and got married to a normal man. Also The Notebook about a love that lasted a lifetime and required an enduring commitment to someone with dementia who was mentally gone most of the time. And 127 Hours (2010) about a man who gets trapped between a boulder and a cliff who had to drink his own urine and cut off his arm with a pocketknife to survive, also based on the true story of Aron Ralston.

It's commendable that he stayed with her through her difficult cancer treatments and sickness and hard times, but I mean she was pretty and perfect and he had hope she would be healed, so I mean who wouldn't stay next to her?

It is an emotional movie, but maybe his celebrity status and how easily he was able to replace her kind of made his loss of her not seem as significant.

But I'm starting to wonder now if the point of the movie wasn't even his loss and what he experienced with falling in love and having this angelic virginal beauty in his life for a moment only to watch her suffer and die.

Now I'm thinking like maybe I missed the whole message of the movie.

I think I better rewatch that movie and come back to this and perhaps revise my statements.

I remember now I did cry that night but some time has passed so maybe I'm just blocking it out now. I mean it's a sad story.