Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Map creation and what makes a map great

hello all!

Well what makes a map somewhat special? In this OP I’ll write down what I think on the matter but feel free to fill in with your own map building knowledge , tricks and thoughts.

In multi-player maps it is all about balance between starting locations. A game between two or more is seldom rewarding if they do not fight on equal therms.

This balance can easily be achieved by creating a symetrical map whitout any difference between starting locations. These maps tends to look very unatural with equal squares or circles. To build from this basic foundation you can have the map more and more asymetrical. As these maps can look very natural they also tend to be less equal between starting locations. To balance this, equal starting locations and asymetrical map design is the big challange when building a map that, according to me, stands out as great!

Singel player scenarios.

Single player missions are maybe less fun to play since the AI ain’t the smartest and always attack in the same pattern. But there are ways to build a challange.

Begin lower right. AI goes for lower left so that way they change rout as you expand westward. Or come to aid if you go and attack an enemy in the west.

Build enemy defence as you would your own. Keep it good looking. Don’t build their defence as you want to attack it. This gives you the chalange to try Where to start your offensive in-game.

Give the enemy a fully built base or two. Make sure they got all baracks they need and also have them start with one town/great hall, one Keep/stronghold and one castle/fortress. This will make the enemy change its attack pattern.

Balance is also important in the aspect of diffuculty. A single player map that is impossible is no fun. A map whithout challange is no fun in equal measure. This makes playtesting a must to know you have hit that sweet spot of a challange.

Land AI will use transports if they start with them and there is water between you. Combine this with 1-2 Water AI and an Air AI and you have one hell of a challange!

What is your tricks? What do you like about Maps? Something you know or have discovered How to use the map editor to a higher level?

What I like about maps:

*ability to use various methods (offensive tower, build stuff in enemy base, wall and power, dual, etc)

*ability to take secret exps

*the map isn't stagnant with games lending themselves to action throughout the game (like Mr. Bean, GSEPS, FT, Rose Petal, AYN, Clash, Dangerous Territory, new map The Hand, etc)

*an example of a "stagnant" map is Jimland, and perhaps Taiga...where you kind of do stuff in your base for ages until the battle starts...the battle is often limited to birds and mages...sometimes sappers and land are used but it's a bit tedious sapping through 50 miles of trees

*I'm not great a map making myself yet, but I'm gonna give it another try and see if I can make some playable stuff rather than some "novel concept" stuff that ended up being pretty low-playability stuff.

Quote from BabyShark on July 24, 2019, 10:39 pm

What I like about maps:

*ability to use various methods (offensive tower, build stuff in enemy base, wall and power, dual, etc)

*ability to take secret exps

*the map isn't stagnant with games lending themselves to action throughout the game (like Mr. Bean, GSEPS, FT, Rose Petal, AYN, Clash, Dangerous Territory, new map The Hand, etc)

*an example of a "stagnant" map is Jimland, and perhaps Taiga...where you kind of do stuff in your base for ages until the battle starts...the battle is often limited to birds and mages...sometimes sappers and land are used but it's a bit tedious sapping through 50 miles of trees

*I'm not great a map making myself yet, but I'm gonna give it another try and see if I can make some playable stuff rather than some "novel concept" stuff that ended up being pretty low-playability stuff.

Well then the BNE edition of GOW is a great map since it is almost asymetrical, gives alot of tactical oppertunity, chances to expand and equal starting positions. The last should be what differs from the classic version from what I   can see. Guess @mike will be thrilled to read. 😉

What else folk? @babyshark and myself can’t be the only ones with an opinion on the matter?

I want more input and then I’ll use all tips and tricks to build a map that draws from all.

Does everyone know that you can build on rocks that you have demolished with sappers/demo squads? I'm thinking of building a map where there would be a need for it.

frontliner2 has reacted to this post.
frontliner2

or you can just play gow and not worry about it

frontliner2 has reacted to this post.
frontliner2