Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My First Table

I've had a second-hand maple table for about 15 years that I absolutely love. The surface wasn't looking great anymore, so I decided it would be my woodworking guinea pig. I planned to resurface the table because I love this old table we got used for $30 in our younger days. My goal was a rugged, rustic multicolor look with medium browns and grays.

First, I used a hand sander machine to take the table back to the beautiful bare wood. The first sander I used was quite heavy to maneuver, but efficient. Switching to a lighter-weight one made it a little simpler. I was tempted to leave it natural color, but I had already decided to go colorful for a change since it had been natural for at least a decade and a half.

View post on imgur.com

After sanding for some hours really late at night, I applied a gray stain using cloths to the bare table and let that dry.

Then I sanded it unevenly so that some parts went back to bare, and left some patches of gray here and there.

Third, I applied a beautiful stain called "Briarsmoke" in multiple layers until the color was deep enough to satisfy me.

View post on imgur.com

Lastly, I added 4 clear protective coats, letting it dry and sanding between each one.

The project was definitely easier in my mind than actuality, but I was very happy with the end result.

View post on imgur.com