Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Psalm 27 - Time of Trouble

A Psalm of David. The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid? 2  When the wicked came against me To eat up my flesh, My enemies and foes, They stumbled and fell. 3  Though an army may encamp against me, My heart shall not fear; Though war should rise against me, In this I will be confident. 4  One thing I have desired of the Lord, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple. 5  For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock. 6  And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me; Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord.

7  Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice! Have mercy also upon me, and answer me. 8  When You said, "Seek My face," My heart said to You, "Your face, Lord, I will seek." 9  Do not hide Your face from me; Do not turn Your servant away in anger; You have been my help; Do not leave me nor forsake me, O God of my salvation. 10  When my father and my mother forsake me, Then the Lord will take care of me. 11  Teach me Your way, O Lord, And lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies. 12  Do not deliver me to the will of my adversaries; For false witnesses have risen against me, And such as breathe out violence. 13  I would have lost heart, unless I had believed That I would see the goodness of the Lord In the land of the living. 14  Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!

The world is changing rapidly from what the relative comfort and freedom most of us have known our whole lives. A lot of scary stuff is going on in the world right now, on a scale I've never seen before. It's easy to find oneself anxious.
The God who created this world and us has rich comfort to share with us for trouble times in his word. If you haven't opened up that book in ages, it's a good time to start.
Psalm 46:1-2
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed.
Proverbs 3:25-26
Do not be afraid of sudden terror, nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught.
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

A lot of people have set their minds on this earth as being paradise, striving to squeeze every ounce of enjoyment out of this life with no regards to any other. Close to 80% of Americans polled say they believe in an afterlife/heaven. The % believing in hell was lower. After you die is too late to start thinking about where you want to spend eternity, since wherever you're headed is already going to be decided by then. Now is a good time to start reading the Bible and investigate the God who cares for the people He made. God cares for the people He made. The people who know and love Him are told many times in Scripture that suffering in this life in this world will come. We will have hardship here and now.

Romans 8:18-19

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God.

If you want to know how to attain that glory, that eternal life with God in heaven, rather than in the place of punishment where we would justly be cast by a holy God who hates sin if we were to be judged according to our actions, read on.

Romans 10:9

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

John 14:2-3

In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.

Believing that Jesus died for your sins is the way to heaven, and is the only way.

John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

1 Peter 5:6-11

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. 10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. 11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.