Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Return To The Storm – Custom Campaign

Happy to release the first four levels of this custom campaign! It's a work-in-progress, but I feel like it's ok to put these out into the world to test out. Consider this a 'beta' release, hah.

This campaign is the tale of Holls Hammer, first daughter to King Hammer and Paladin of the Violet Rose. Holls journey allows her to witness first hand a great evil rise, and hopes she can put it back down.

Included so far are the first eight missions.

TO PLAY THIS, YOU MUST FOLLOW THE "TO PLAY" INSTRUCTIONS BELOW! If you don't, the computer will follow the default ai behaviors and the maps will both not be a challenge, and you'll miss out on the fun of customized ai for the maps. You'll also miss out on a bunch of aesthetic changes too.

Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DIQJ0UFzMewVnQ4xNjttfMxaoluKtkuu

Features:

• 8/16 maps complete for Human Campaign
  • Mission briefing images, telling the tale of Holls Hammer and the fall of the Vail Kingdom.
  • Maps that are hopefully a new and fun Warcraft II experience
  • Many units have stats and names tweaked.
  • Each level has a custom ai, tailored for that level and meant to present an actual challenge.
  • Included "karma challenge" for each mission, an optional *hard mode* for anyone who's up for it.

Features to come...

• The additional 8 levels for this campaign. Followed by an orc one if I'm feeling ambitious.
  • Bio's for the characters discussed in the mission briefings to help keep that short and sweet while providing some additional grounding.
  • (Hopefully) wholesale custom units, when I can figure out how to do that.
  • I've drawn most of the characters myself, but most of the portraits are based on other artworks I've found online. My style's still too cartoony to match the WCII style. Need to credit the artists who's work the portraits are based on.
  • Character voices are still the default... which isn't ideal for, say, my protagonist. Still unsure what to do about this.

To play:

In your main Warcombat folder, copy the War2Dat.mpq file somewhere safe on your computer and place the downloaded War2Dat.mpq file attached in its place. This will apply all the graphic, string, and ai changes. Keep in mind this may screw up the default campaign, but if you want to play that, just move the original War2Dat file back.

Then load the through the Custom Games option in Warcraft II, with all fields set to the map defaults.

Every mission comes with a briefing .PNG, read it before hand for some hack story telling and mission objectives!

Screenshots

human_camp1

human_camp2

human_camp3

human_camp4

TuPaC has reacted to this post.
TuPaC

BUMP

I have plans to play with this soon. I'll update when I do. How big is the file and will it upload as an attachment?

Thanks! Tupac Administrator

Rad! It's ~38mb, mostly coming from the included War2Dat.mpq file. I didn't learn about the patch mpq til later, still need to rework this to use that instead.

Otherwise the zip includes 4 mission briefings and 4 puds.

Next four missions are good to go! I'm kind of proud on how a few of these play out, but don't want to spoil too much gameplay.

Among these missions there's one where you must defeat a substantially larger naval blockade, one where you must work around very tight resources, and one where if you don't retreat from the starting position, you'll lose in under a minute.

New features:

• Four new Missions, as Holls ventures back to the Church of the Purple Rose – including mission briefings for each pud and the individual puds
  • Each mission has a customized AI for each computer, and (I hope!) are difficult enough that even experienced players may need to make multiple attempts.
  • All water units have new portraits, no more simple screenshots of the unit sprite!
  • Orcs stats are generally tweaked to make them stronger than Humans. Units such as the Ogre and Ogre Juggernaut have been adjusted to be significant threats when attacking that must be answered swiftly.

Download:

Includes the first four missions as well!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DIQJ0UFzMewVnQ4xNjttfMxaoluKtkuu/view?usp=sharing

To play:

In your main Warcombat folder, copy the War2Dat.mpq file somewhere safe on your computer and place the downloaded War2Dat.mpq file attached in its place. This will apply all the graphic, string, and ai changes. Keep in mind this may screw up the default campaign, but if you want to play that, just move the original War2Dat file back.

Then load the through the Custom Games option in Warcraft II, with all fields set to the map defaults.

Every mission comes with a briefing .PNG, read it before hand for some hack story telling and mission objectives!

Screenshots:

human_camp6

human_camp6

human_camp6

human_camp6

human_camp6

human_camp6

Amended note: I haven't added these into Warcraft's default campaign – so you'll have to load them through "custom scenario". Choose Human or "map default" for all maps!