Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Lost Valentine Hallmark movie

This is an older, probably made-for-TV movie about a lifelong love...slash tragic lost love.

A young, pregnant wife is left behind by a military husband going off to war.

He goes missing in action. And she waits...and waits...and waits.

Of course it's romantic and all that. Who doesn't want forever love?

But that also means she was alone her whole life with nothing but a memory.

She had to raise her child herself, which couldn't have been easy...and apparently never felt a man's touch for the rest of her life, since she waited for her husband for 60 years but never knew what happened to him, until, with the help of a young reporter (Jennifer Love Hewitt) who's getting friendly with her grandson, she discovers what happened to him overseas.

It was kind of a "Notebook"ish sweeping but tragic love story with wartime footage that had an authentic feel.

The young female version of the old woman was sweet and beautiful, one of the most pleasant female leads I've seen in a long time, the kind of woman they don't make anymore. The grandson and the young version of the husband are both enjoyable to watch and portray pretty awesome (albeit a little over-perfect and under-human) characters.

The Notebook is one of my favorite movies, but this one was a nice watch too. But The Notebook, I'll watch again someday.

It's one of those "what if" situations you think about. What if your spouse went missing, but you didn't know if they were dead or alive. What if you got remarried, and then the old spouse returns?

Spouses who get lost or die are always seen and remembered as so perfect...you see them through rose-colored glasses as angelic beings of wonder. But had they been together longer, they would probably have eventually had the same arguments all married couples have, the same problems, and the mundane routine of regular life.

The concept of love and the feeling of love are these celebrated things, these most-desired magical goals most people hope for.

The test of time tends to corrode all of these found loves. That loved person turns out to be a defect. Throw it away and get a new one is the standard modern policy on expired emotions.

Commitment vs. emotion battle often ends in emotion winning...paving the way to a new "perfect love" who in the end becomes another stale, old defect with time and familiarity.

There are only defects available. We are all flawed.

I think maybe the person who said, "If you want your neighbor's greener grass, spend more time caring for your own lawn" was onto something.

It's sad what some people have had to endure, what some people have had to suffer and lose and miss out on.

This story is tragic.

But it's so, very beautiful.

Faithfulness and lifelong love are too powerful for words but are portrayed here as beautifully as possible and kind of skipping out on all the loneliness and struggle over her lifetime, especially in being a single parent and so on.

I know none of you are about to watch this movie, but I just like to write when the mood hits me, hah. 🙂