Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Arnold Schwarzenegger explains why War2USA will succeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNDA-o9yJNw

I'm here to talk about success.

I went to college. I went and worked out 5 hours a day. And I was working in construction, because in those days in body building there was no money. I didn't have the money for food supplements or anything, so I had to go to work. I worked in construction. I went to college. I worked out in the gym, and at night from 8 o'clock at night to 12 midnight I went to acting class 4 times a week. So I did all that. There was not one single minute that I wasted. And this is why I'm standing here today.

At the age of 20, I went to London and I won the Mr. Universe contest as the youngest Mr. Universe ever. And it was because I had a goal. You see, if you don't have a vision of where you're going, a goal where you want to go, you drift around and you never end up anywhere.

74% hate their job in America. The majority of people don't like what they are doing, because they're not doing it because they followed a goal. They just aimlessly drift around and there's a job opening and they get the job because you have to work. But then when you work, it's a chore. It's work. It's not fun.

Only a quarter of people enjoy what they are doing in life.

People always ask me when they saw me in the gym in the pumping iron days "Why is it that you're working out so hard, 5 hours a day, 6 hours a day and you have always a smile on your face? The others are working out just as hard as you and they look sour in the face. Why is that?"

I said, "I'm shooting for a goal. In front of me is the Mr. Universe title, so every rep that I do gets me closer to accomplishing that goal, to making this vision turn into reality. Every single set that I do, every repetition, every weight that I lift will get me closer to turning this goal into a reality."

So I couldn't wait to do another 500 pound squat. I couldn't wait to do another 500 pound bench press. I couldn't wait to do another 2000 reps of sit-ups. I couldn't wait for the next exercise.

So let me tell you that visualizing your goal and going after it makes it fun. You've got to have a purpose no matter what you do in life. You've got to have a purpose.

Muhammad Ali worked his butt off, and I saw it firsthand. I remember that there was a sports writer that was in the gym when he was working out doing sit-ups. He asked him, "How many sit-ups do you do?"

And he said, "I don't start counting until it hurts."

Think about that. He doesn't start counting his sit-ups until he feels pain. That's when he starts counting. That is working hard. And so you can't get around the hard work. It doesn't matter who it is. Work your ass off.

There is no magic pill. You cannot get around, you have to work and work and work.

And it drives me crazy when people say they don't have enough time to go to the gym for 45 minutes a day to work out, or to do something for 45 minutes to an hour a day to improve, if it's to physically improve or mentally improve.

Imagine you read one hour a day about history, how much you will learn after 365 hours, in one year. Think about if you studied the history of musicians, of composers, how much you would know. Imagine if you would work on some business you wanted to develop for one hour a day, how much further along you'd go.

So it drives me nuts when people say "we don't have the time" because we have 24 hours a day. We sleep 6 hours a day, so that gives you still 18 hours. There's someone shaking their head out there probably thinking "I don't sleep 6 hours. I sleep 8 hours."

Well, just sleep faster.

The average person works around 8 - 10 hours. Let's assume it's 10 hours so you have 8 hours left. Then you travel around an hour a day, maybe 2 hours a day, so now you have still 6 hours left. So what do you do with these 6 hours?

Maybe eat a little bit. Maybe schmooze a little bit, talk a little bit with people and all that stuff. But you can see how much time is available if you organize your day, so you got to work hard.

I hate plan B.

And I'll tell you why.

Because we have so many doubters, the no-sayers.

We have so many of those people who say "no, you can't do it, it's impossible".

That is okay because we just turn off as I said earlier and we hear the "no" being a "yes" and the "you can't do it" means "you can do it". So that is possible with all the negative people around you.

But when you start doubting yourself, that's very dangerous, because now what you're basically saying is that if my plan doesn't work, I have a fallback plan, a plan B.

That means you start thinking about plan B and every thought you put into plan B, you're taking that thought, that energy, away from plan A.

And it's very important to understand that we function better if there is no safety net. Because plan B becomes a safety net. It says that if I fail, then I fall and I get picked up and I have something else there that will protect me, and that's not good, because people perform better when there's no safety net. People perform better in sports and everything else if you don't have a plan B.

I'm telling you, I've never, ever had a plan B.

I made a full commitment that I'm going to be a bodybuilding champion.

I made a full commitment that I'm going to be in America.

I made a full commitment that I'm gonna get into show business and be a leading man no matter what it takes, I will do the work. I will do the work over and over and over until I get it.

The same goes in politics and everything like that.

To me, it is very dangerous to have a plan B because you're cutting yourself off from the chance of really succeeding.

The main reason why people want to have a plan B is because they're worried about failing.

"If I fail, then I don't have anything else."

Well let me tell you something.

Don't be afraid of failing, because there's nothing wrong with failing.

You have to fail in order to climb that ladder.

There's no one that doesn't fail.

Michael Jordan said in one of his interviews when they said, "You're unbelievable, you're the greatest basketball player of all time, tell me about that," Michael Jordan said, "Well you're just mentioning the successes. For me to become the greatest basketball player, I missed 9000 shots when I was playing basketball in the NBA games."

So during his games when he was so successful, he missed 9000 shots. He failed 9000 times. Do you get it? We all fail. It's okay.

What is not okay is that when you fail, you stay down. Whoever stays down is a loser, and winners will fail and get up, fail and get up, fail and get up. You always get up. That is a winner. That is a winner.

I failed in bodybuilding. I lost bodybuilding competitions. I lost powerlifting competition. I lost weightlifting competitions. I had movies that went in the toilet and that were terrible and got the worst reviews.

In politics I remember I had many of the initiatives on the ballot, and we lost. My approval rating in California went down to 28% and then it went back up again and I won again the governorship.

Hey, we all lose. We all have losses, this is okay.

This is why I say don't be worried about losing. Because when you're afraid of losing you get frozen. You get stiff, you're not relaxed.

In order to perform well in anything, in boxing or in your job or with your thinking, it's only happening when you relax. So relax. It's okay to fail. Just go all out and give it all you've got. So don't be afraid to fail.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger