Forums

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumsShark BytesFree Solo
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Free Solo

Free Solo

View post on imgur.com

Last night at the threatre I saw "Free Solo" a documentary which wasn't my pick and I wasn't super excited about it, but it was actually very interesting.

It's about a rock climber who climbs impossible-for-normal-people mountain cliffs, without ropes, named Alex Honnold. Some of his most famous free solo climbs are El Capitan in Yosemite, California, USA, and Half Dome, also in Yosemite, California, USA.

Watching this film led to a lot of thoughts about risks, and the choices we make in life. One of the people in this film, another climber, said he knows 30-40 climbers who died performing these feats. The passion these people have for climbing and the dedication and work they put into being in top notch physical condition to being able to do them is far beyond what the vast majority of the population have the motivation for.

It's remarkable how someone can love something this much...that is so dangerous and inconceivable to "ordinary" people, who might look at these daredevils as if they have a few screws loose.

Interestingly, a brain scan by MRI of Honnold showed a lack of activity in the amygdala where normal people do have activity to stimuli. Truly, not sure what that signifies, but I plan to read up on it further later since the human brain and psyche has always been a fascination to me since my grade 11 biology class blew out my brain with the section on the human brain. I spent the rest of the day in amazement, captivated by the mysteries and powers of the human mind.

Honnold says, "People think it's dangerous, but it's only dangerous if you fall. Driving is only dangerous if you crash."

Very interesting way to word this, hah.

Here's an article about some climbers who died on the extremely difficult mountain, El Capitan:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/06/03/616544264/2-climbers-fall-to-their-deaths-from-el-capitan-in-yosemite

Here's a link to the Free Solo movie trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4F3JK7oHn0