Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Memorable W2 Players Along My Half-a-Life-Long W2 Journey

Page 1 of 2Next

Most of these people don't play anymore, and many of them may be unfamiliar to today's crowd, but these are mainly people who made Warcraft 2 fun for me and I want to remember them and the enjoyment these human beings brought me and others, who happened to land in the same video game at the same time from wherever they were on planet earth. I started on Battle.net US East server around 2001/2002.

Advisor

The first time I remember ever playing Warcraft II online, after I created the username BabyShark as a teen, I lucked out and encountered Advisor and a guy called GS-JeffHardy (aka xripx_Jeff) who became my first two W2 friends ever. Advisor became my first teacher. Nice guy, played all BNE maps, memorable because he slowed down to help show a brand new lost clueless super noob the basics of W2.

GS-JeffHardy/xripx_Jeff

One of the two very first people I came across in Warcraft 2. If I had come across different people than Advisor and Jeff, I might never have become a lifelong W2 addict. Who knows!?

xripx_baggins

The xripx clan played AYN. I think it was mostly fastest speed back then. AYN was the first map I learned on. It's hard to describe what a human being with a "perfect personality" is like, but xripx_baggins came awfully close. Sense of humor, playfulness, like someone who is seriously playful and takes the game seriously while laughing, who is on the up and up but has a mischievious streak, and has both a backbone and a brain and in all his glory just laughs it all into a soup, but very seriously. Great to ally, great to fight against, just overall really fun person to hang out with.

xripx_Nedok_/SoCzNedok

AYN days. The xripx's were super nice to let a newbie player join them on a regular basis (during a time when there were many players available and easily 10 or more games hosted at a time) and give coaching to someone who had never heard of a choke.

xripx_x-tah_c

Bossy and belittling, ego-stricken and intense, but all in a way people liked. Dominant leader of xripx with somewhat amusing easy rage but also had a soft side. I haven't heard this name mentioned much in well over a decade, but back in the day everyone seemed to fear and respect him. Wonder how I'd fare against him today...now that I've beat all the people I remember who used to be scary from back then with a few exceptions, surely. The xripx clan took me in and let me play and showed me the ropes, often on AYN, in spite of me being soooo new and useless.

GBC_Dream

Super nice guy, nice to everyone, good attitude, great ally, very positive, upbeat person. From Finland. Didn't laugh too much at my rusty efforts to communicate in our native tongue. Some of our games are still on record, wow! 2010.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

http://ladder.war2.ru/2s/player.php?offset=0&player=BabyShark_and_GBC_Dream

Hackao

One of those deep thinker types, smart, analytical mind, capable of great conversation. I still remember he tried to teach me German phrases about 15 years ago and I still remember how to say my cat is red. [Cat name] ist rot. Trying to remember what maps we used to play, but it's a blur, so long ago, but I think probably sea maps and chop.

Just.Surrender

We used to be tower warz allies and beat everyone even if our opponents outnumbered us. We had a rhythm on that map. In the days when I played a lot of tower warz, we allied a lot.

Twc-Air-Rattler

One of the people who used to be better than me in the old days but is easily beat now. ?

Nice guy, playful, intelligent. Helped me with an IRL project ages and ages ago. Loves snakes. Is the only person I've met on W2 who knows more about animals that I do.

Likes silly maps like pball bob build etc. which I used to play back in the day also.

SuP-

This guy and I had our differences, but we had fun times anyway. Assorted maps...sooo long ago. This guy may have been the first, maybe second person who emerged from behind a screenname inside my computer as an actual human voice. Confession. Naughty confession from the past. We would go on akas here2bs and ima-bser into pball games on separate teams and just instantly bs our teams. SOO BAD. And immature. I know. I don't do that anymore. But I have to admit it was fun at the time. I had to scold him for some things but someone really should have been around to scold me too.

Elkilla

The original. Was a highly superior player who was annoyed at having me in games since I sucked. Liked my personality in spite of my uselessness at W2 but used to raz and insult me all the time. I liked it.

Elkilla

The unoriginal. Insisted on having me in games to the chagrin of his friend real Elkilla. We were friends for a long time back in the day. He always told me to tower up my base so I wouldn't die right away. So that was my long-term W2 lesson for normal maps. Build lots of towers everywhere. And he was good enough to carry a good chunk of the time in 2s anyway. I used to think he was sooo good. Now I can beat him.

Khadgar~

Smart, thoughtful guy. Liked Rose Petal and Glass_Man used to play with us. Those were fun times. Opened my eyes to a new perspective with some observations about life.

hellhunter520

You were so young and I think at least semi-newb when we met on W2 in early 2000's. I think you were actually worse than me then, which is hilarious considering how amazingly skilled you became later on, one of the top pro players of all time and have owned Shotgun in 1s since then. You were really fun to play with and have an awesome sense of humor and playful nature. You play anything. You fear nothing. You can lose without crying or ally-blaming (even when you 100% had the right to blame me!) Loved playing with ya.

FEARTHIS)N4L(

In 2005 era, I played chop. First there were no farms in the beginning, which was a neat game. Then the farms came later and dominated until the no farm version became obsolete. I don't remember this guy too well anymore, but we played a lot back then, with others like mr.duckbutter, M.A.Y.H.E.M, Just.High, Just.Start, Just.Surrender, and the next three guys on the list.

blurredvision

Another really fun person. Played many maps, intense about the game, but can handle losing with grace (most of the time), sense of humor, playful, loyal ally, and did I mention, played a lot of maps! Map variety players rock, YEAH. Someone who used to be a lot better than me but eventually I was able to beat (and he didn't like it - sorryyyy). One of the first people with a few other choppers we played with, with whom we BRANCHED AWAY FROM W2 to other games together. We played a really awesome version of tetris called Blocktrix that is the best version of tetris I've ever played.

BigSalad

He so suitably named himself something light, crunchy, delicious, and good for you. It defines him rather well. He was such a nice guy, funny, playful, so good natured. If he were an animal it would  probably be a dolphin or a golden retriever. Just friendly, happy, smiley, open, but resilient and not a pushover either. Part of our frequent "dream team" at mini chop: blurredvision, BigSalad, myself, and M.A.Y.H.E.M.

M.A.Y.H.E.M

Had one of the most charming voices I ever heard in my life. Guy oozed charm like a volcano oozes hot lava. Strong player, fierce and feisty, the way a good W2 player should be. Just enough ornery about him to make him interesting.

Gothic_Horror

The Anti Hack of US East. Gothic Horror was on a crusade to purify the then-hack-heavy world of W2 of hackers, and took replays and made lists of known hackers with proof, including spoof checking. His care for the community got him a lot of unearned hate, and he was the most-often-spoofed player by the hackers who didn't like being found out. Chop player primarily. A little on the serious side, but always treated me well.

xvBluexMoonvx

Solid player who played various maps including junk I made myself and was decent at the game. It's been years and years so I don't remember it all that well, but we played together for years and got along well back in the days when W2 was just fun and nothing else. I found some old screenshots so I thought I'd add it in here for nostalgia. It would be neat to have some old replays from back then (these are from 2005) to see how much has changed.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

More will be added. This is an interesting process, digging into old memories that haven't surfaced in years. I ordered a kit that will give me access to an old hard drive - hoping to find old maps - but now I'm hoping I might find some ss's or replays too.

Maybe it's busted and won't work at all. We'll see.

LetsRemake

Used to be scary in early 2000's but isn't anymore. 🙂

One of the best people to 1s. One of the more mature players who can handle losing without losing his mind. In the W2 world this is rare. A good guy, plays all regular maps, not a pussy, an excuse-maker, a whiner, crybaby, an ally-blamer...someone who's grown up and plays for fun, which is what a game should be.

Great games in 1s, look forward to more. Can't believe our gaming on W2 spans some 17 years! You're solid. Always a positive, enjoyable person to play with.

TonyOOOO

You were such a little brat back then. But even 15+ years ago, you played with super newbies like I was and treated them as humans. 🙂

You turned out to be pretty spectacular, both as a W2 player and a person. A little bit of a potty mouth and sometimes a bit of a jerk, but a total angel all the same. Taught me, owned me 1v2 repeatedly...you made W2 really fun with your playful approach. Watching you play is always jaw dropping. Had you played more than occasionally, you would have been known as what I know you as, the best W2 player that ever lived. Someone as good as you should never have wasted time on a newb like me. But you did. And it was so fun. Anyone who gets to know you at all can count themselves lucky. You're one of a kind.

SoCxNewbie

I remember the feeling of power when he was on my team and the feeling of terror when he was the enemy. He was very scary to young BS. Now old BS can battle him and win (some of the time). ? The first win against this guy was such an exciting win for me. I was very close to framing the screenshot above my bed.

SoCx82

No nonsense more serious player. Somehow a lot of skilled, serious players still made room to play with a newb like me when my skill level was about 30 levels below what would make a useful ally or opponent at that time. I'd fight you eagerly today Shannon Sharpe! I think I can take ya now.

SoCzJudo & SoCxLoki

Two hot brothers memorable for skill and being brothers.

SoCxVizzer

Very high skill level player with a playful sense of humor. Makes both a good ally and a great opponent, plays all maps. Has no fear. I love non-pussiness in humans. It's awesome. Not a crybaby either. Used to be a little kid back when I was a teen. His was one of my favorite streams to watch of all the W2 players who streamed because the way he plays is so nicely orchestrated and timed and everything he does makes usually makes sense to me. (So why can't I play like that myself? ? ...)

Vizz has spent time tutoring newbs and sharing his impressive skill with others as a coach. He is an extremely solid, consistently impressive, super pro all-map legit honest player, and the Warcraft II world has been made richer and more vibrant having had Vizz as a long-time player.

Found the old maps I wanted on the old hard drive and a shortcut for xripx clan webpage (that no longer exists) from 2003!

View post on imgur.com

Nedro

Map maker extraordinaire. One of the smartest people to ever play W2 and one of the few people I've encountered on W2 who is actually smarter than me. Yikes, that's saying a lot.

Thoughtful, kind-hearted human of many talents, including, as mentioned above, making unique and highly replayable and treasured maps like Mr. Bean, Zones, and Hey Stop That! (was a co-project with Lamb).

Mathematical, analytical mind that can see the world and the game of W2 in ways I can't. My brain just doesn't work on that level.

Plays everything, has taught me a number of things about W2.

Lambchops

I've already messed up the chronology so I can include some of the people from the last 3 years since I started playing after my 5 year break. Lamb and I started talking before we were friends. How is that possible? Well, we were both on smurf names, that's how. And I wasn't exactly sure who he was at the time, and he didn't know who I was, or so I think.

We both like mini chop farms, although I used to play it a lot more in 2005 than I have in the last 3 years. I loved it back then cuz all the cool fun people played it. It was such a good time cuz of the people.

Lamb has thrown himself under the hate bus to stand up for my humanity in the face of the toxic swarm of haters more times than I can count, in spite of him not even agreeing with most of my views. That's something I won't forget. It's very rare to be willing to stand against a crowd of vile people out of consideration for someone else that you don't even agree with!

I thank you Lamb. We have our own fights about this stuff, hah, so that makes your actions stand out even more.

I've enjoyed gaming and talking with you and your accent owns but your map preferences need improvement.

YOU HAVE QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN MAPS (Mini chop is okay, but the rest...like BLAH.)

****THIS IS SERIOUS****

!!!!

Matty

Oh, Matty, Matty, Matty. 🙂

You're so chill! We met while put together in a tournament...and clicked. Then we played a bunch of tournaments together after that. Fun times. Laid back, playful, solid ally, fun person. You've been one of my absolute top people to 1s and every one of my approx. 30% win rate vs you gives me a huge rush cuz I have to work so hard for it! GGS! At least I own you in chess. 😉

Lethal~Machete/DeathKnight~

The best to 1s. Always great games.

You were there for me for one of the most painful events of my life. Your patience and kindness will always be remembered. There were lots of times I was really sad and you made me laugh. We had such a good time in spite of what I was going through. Loyal, real, playful, funny...and we both had the same freaking awesome teacher during the time when W2 was the best it ever was. Those were the funnest times.

How a nice and good guy like you gets banned from W2 twice is perplexing, especially in the face of all the toxic tools and hackers that never seem to. The way the Russian server treated you and maligned you is gross and wrong. Should never have happened. I'm sorry for the sucky way the corrupt leaders there showed how they have no value or concern for decent and nice players and favor the sick losers who don't know how to behave instead.

I and every reasonable person knows what kind of guy you are. I'm pretty sure the guys who went around lying about you know it too. I've played you 1s more than anyone and I know for certain you're clean.

There will always be evil people in the world who get off on attacking and trying to ruin nice ones.

You're pretty awesome and one of the best W2 friends I ever had.

1v1 now newb. ?

Page 1 of 2Next