Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Cheapo Grocery Store: When you realize you're a spoiled brat!

So I went grocery shopping today at a "cheap" store because it happened to be across the road from where I like to buy yarn.

I habitually shop at the classier grocery stores because they have everything you need in stock, even if it's some rarely used spice like cardamom or some natural organic product, like Ribena blackcurrant nectar or Bob's Red Mill buckwheat flour. They also have their own store brand (PC) of a huge variety of food items that I've always found to be top quality.

The atmosphere in the grocery stores I usually shop at is nice and peaceful and quiet, and not too crowded. Carts are always available and line-ups aren't too long. The staff are polite and friendly and it just makes for a routinely better shopping experience.

But today I ended up at the cheap-o store as I didn't have any unusual items on my list this time, just basics like milk, carrots, cheese, eggs, cabbage, bananas, and chicken.

I kept scrunching my face at the prices. They were so low. Black Diamond cheese at my favorite store was usually around $8. Here it was $4.99.

I would estimate I saved about $40 on my $162-and-change shopping trip by shopping at the discount store.

The parking lot was crowded. It was cold and raining and windy and I ended up parking about 250 feet from the store entrance. Once I got into the store, there were no available shopping carts to be seen. The store was crowded. I considered looking going back 100 feet into the windy cold rain to get a buggy from the cart drop off location outside, but before I had overcome the mental blow of no carts being available to shop with at a grocery store that was open, someone who finished shopping returned their cart inside.

I tried to get over my prejudice of how the produce at this store was inferior (probably rotten or nearly so and infested with disease, perhaps).

The cabbages don't look so bad, I thought as I perused the selection before plopping one into my buggy.

At the check out, the girl was friendly (you know, for a cheapo grocery store).

And then I noticed all the food piling up. There was no one at the end of the conveyor belt putting the food into bags.

They expect me to bag the food...myself??

That was when I realized I am a spoiled brat.

I have decided to counter the spoiled brat in me and to begin shopping regularly at cheapo grocery stores for most of my groceries and just purchase specialty items at the "nice" grocery store.