Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Father (2020)

This is possibly the best performance of Anthony Hopkins' career, although with his advancing age, part of me wonders how much of it is a performance!

Hopkins plays Antony, an aging man with dementia who is being cared for by his daughter as he moves further away from being able to care for himself, but doesn't understand it and fights the help his daughter tries to provide.

It is portrayed largely from his point of view, so you get to experience his confusion along with him, which makes for an interesting piece as you try to solve what is real and what is only in his broken mind.

The characters are so well acted and so believable and so human that it is rare to see something this real and this compelling. The actress who plays his daughter Anne is also fantastic and impressive.

This isn't a "fun" watch or a "feel-good" watch, but it is storytelling at its best. You feel what the characters feel, even though, like the main character, you don't quite understand what's going on.

This movie got one of the highest ratings on the video site of any movie I've watched and I'd say it's well-deserved.

The story that it is is so well done that I'd recommend this to anyone who is into real life drama type genre and anyone with aging loved ones who can be a challenge to deal with in spite of your best efforts.

Lolll it has the rating of Scarface 8,3  nicee loll