Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

When does a human life begin?

I'm responding in a new thread because the original topic from the old thread is unrelated to this one.

You, parroting mainstream media, have criticized healthy people who want to enjoy constitutionally protected freedoms like going to church or hanging out with friends and family as selfish, reckless potential murderers of old folks.

There are some built-in assumptions in your position that do not flow logically from a big bang, evolution from chemical soup over millions of years, random particles in motion belief system. The assumptions are that human life has value and is special (which it is, because God made it) and that murder is wrong (which it is, God says so). You are taking assumptions from the true worldview and asserting them as factual when your worldview simply cannot account for them.

In your book, going outside for a walk and walking a bit too close to someone is akin to murder, yet tearing the arms off of babies deliberately and throwing the tiny face, hands, spine, heart, feet, and brain in the garbage is...perfectly fine. Because it *might* not be a person yet. But you're not sure. Maybe it's a person and maybe it's not a person, but it's okay to dismember them and throw them in the trash.

You, by your own admission, do not know when human life begins. The scientific answer is that a human life, yours, mine, anyone's, begins at conception. From conception on, it is a continuum of growth and development following the genetic blueprint already there in the very first cell that starts a new person. Let's pretend for a moment, that humanity is bestowed on the growing life at a point later than conception. You don't know when that point is. You said so yourself. Yet, you are satisfied with these lives being intentionally killed, when you don't know if it's a human or not? That sounds pretty reckless, selfish, and murderous to me. I'm not suggesting you are. I just don't think, if you saw abortion a little closer up, that you would want to support it when you see the faces of the victims.

Human life has value because it's human is a logically empty statement. Air is air. Ooookay. A balloon is a balloon. Aaand? There's no substance to it.

The words I think you're trying to inject into "human" without saying them, are that a human is a thinking, feeling, special creation, a magnificent and wondrous being that has intrinsic worth and value beyond that which another human ascribes to it. It is a very hard process to turn a random chemical reaction or random particles randomly in motion into an intrinsically valuable entity that it would be truly morally wrong and evil to intentionally destroy.

Quote from Lambchops on April 18, 2020, 6:35 am

1) A long time after a sperm and egg get together. One cell isn't a human, it may as well be a bacteria at that point. Also not when it divides into two cells. At that point it could still become 2 separate humans, which is a pretty good hint that the first cell wasn't a human either. Still saying no when it's 4 cells... or 8, or 16 or 32 for that matter. When it's like a million cells, it could still be a bit of toe-jam. Somewhere a long way after that. I'm not an expert and don't claim to be, so I don't have a definitive answer for you, but there is my opinion.

2) I place value on human lives because I am a human. Because my parents are humans and my children are humans. Also my friends and neighbours, all the people I love and hate are all human. Without them I would be nothing, and in isolation, so would they. There are more reasons than just this, but I think that is at the heart of it.

I have answered because you asked. Please note that I did not. We have discussed your magic book theories before and those discussions lead nowhere.

Lovingly,

Your friend Lambchops who also cares about all humans, even those with pre-existing dispositions.